So I’d been seeing all these gorgeous recipes using Meyer lemons all over the blogosphere lately and was lamenting that I would most likely never get a chance to try one of the elusive Meyer lemons. You see, I live in a very small rural town. Most people have never heard of kale or beets or even avocado! To think that I would find a Meyer lemon at the grocery store seemed like a far fetched dream. So I browsed recipes and drooled and dreamed, one day maybe…
Imagine my delight and surprise when I saw a bag of Meyer lemons at the local Wal-Mart! I had to pick one up, there were so many recipes I wanted to try! I began pinning lemon recipes like a crazy lady and finally settled on a bread recipe as the first one to tackle. I was in the mood for muffins so adapted the recipe to my liking.
Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Flour Mayhem
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 425º F, you will turn the temperature down to 375º F after 5 minutes of baking the muffins. This “sky-high muffin” trick is one of Sally’s secrets to beautiful muffin tops.
- Fill muffin tin with liners or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest
- In a medium bowl combine milk, applesauce, sugar, agave and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, it will be too thick to pour. Make sure to fill the tins ALL the way to the top for best results.
- Bake muffins at 425º F for 5 minutes then lower the temperature to 375º F for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven and allow to cool.
- Eat and enjoy with a pat of Earth Balance!