Cookie Butter aka Speculoos aka Biscoff Spread is quite possibly the most amazing “butter” ever invented. Slathering some cookie butter on bananas is a scrumptious snack. Banana bread is the best quick bread as far as I’m concerned. So, cookie butter banana bread was an obvious choice for me. This is the.best.banana.bread.EVER! Not even kidding.
** Edited to add: It was brought to my attention by a reader that Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter is NOT vegan. However, Biscoff Spread IS vegan, I suggest using Biscoff for this and any other “cookie butter” recipe.**
Trader Joe’s also has a list of all their vegan products here.
- 3 brown spotted bananas, medium
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cookie butter (I used Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a loaf pan and set aside.
- Mash the bananas and set aside.
- Mix together the flax meal with almond milk, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, cookie butter, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add in the flax meal mixture and bananas.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet using a spatula and mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove loaf from oven and check for doneness. If needed, return to oven for up to 15 minutes.
- Let cool in loaf pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish.
- Slice and enjoy with a pat of vegan butter such as Earth Balance.
Have you tried cookie butter yet? What’s your favorite way to enjoy cookie butter? I like mine pretty much anyway I can get it, preferably right from the jar on a spoon into my mouth!