The triathlon season is quickly approaching! Are you ready to tri? Every Monday starting on April 1st I am going to be blogging about triathlons. This series is designed to provide encouragement and education for athletes that are interested in running a triathlon or have ran a triathlon and would like to enhance their knowledge of the sport.
Here is what I will be covering:
- Culture of Triathlon/Multisport
- Race layout
- Race Day
Training for a Triathlon
- Endurance/form/strength triad
- Generic training
- Specific Training
How to Get to the Start Line… Healthy
- Swim Technique
- Cycling Technique
- Run Technique
- Putting it all together
- Getting mentally ready
- Tapering training for a race
- What to expect at a triathlon
Did you know that November 1st is World Vegan Day? Or that November is World Vegan Month? World Vegan Day has been celebrated since 1994. I thought it might be fun to provide a list of all my favorite vegans to celebrate! These people have inspired me and their websites and books have been tremendously helpful as I’ve embarked on this journey to live a plant-based/vegan lifestyle.
- Angela Liddon from OhSheGlows~my number one go-to website for vegan food inspiration! I love Angela’s recipes, every recipe I’ve made has been absolutely delicious. My absolutely most favorite recipe is; Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl. Ange isn’t kidding when she says you will want to eat the Lemon Tahini dressing with a spoon, it’s amazing!
- Isa Chandra Moskowitz from The Post Punk Kitchen~Isa is well-known in the vegan world and is one of my favorite cooks. She’s written seven cookbooks including the well-known, Veganomicon. The PPK is where I found my favorite tofu scramble recipe!
- Lindsay Nixon from Happy Herbivore~Lindsay’s recipes are all plant-based, low-fat and easy to make. She also offers meal plans which are great for newbie vegans, there’s family plans as well as individual plans. Lindsay has written 3 cookbooks; The Happy Herbivore, Everyday Happy Herbivore and most recently, Happy Herbivore Abroad. My very favorite HH recipe is Cheater Pad Thai. Again, I could drink the sauce with a straw!
- Rip Esselstyn over at Engine 2 Diet~Rip is a former world-class professional triathlete and fire-fighter. He wrote the New York Times best-selling book, THE ENGINE 2 DIET. Who says you can’t have delicious plant-based desserts? Check out this Blueberry Dumpster Cobbler. I always have all the ingredients on hand.
- Brendan Brazier~Brendan Brazier is a former professional Ironman triathlete and two-time Canadian 50km Ultra Marathon Champion. He is now a successful performance nutrition consultant, the bestselling author of the Thrive book series and formulator of the award-winning line of plant-based Vega nutritional products. I’ve made both his Lemon-Lime Sports drink and Lemon-Lime gel for triathlons this past summer.
- Rich Roll~Rich is a a wellness advocate on behalf of plant-based nutrition; an entertainment attorney; and a husband and father of 4 children. He wrote FINDING ULTRA , which was released Summer 2012.
Who are your favorite plant-based/vegan chefs and athletes?