Citrus works great as a degreaser, stain remover and freshener. Vinegar is also a great cleaning agent, breaking down mold, grease, mineral deposits and bacteria. Combine the two and you have a great natural cleaner.
This cleaner is eco-friendly not only because it is biodegradable and safe to use, but because it is making use of products that would otherwise be thrown in the trash.
- Place the leftover rinds from any citrus fruit (orange, grapefruit, lemon, etc) into a glass jar.
- Pour white vinegar over top of the rinds until vinegar covers the rinds.
- Put a lid on it and let it sit for 2 weeks.
- Remove rinds, strain liquid through a sieve, and store in a glass jar.
- Use diluted 1:1 water to citrus vinegar in a spray bottle.
Remember the dishwasher detergent I made? I told you then that the vinegar works as a rinse aid and that citric acid is what keeps deposits and buildups off your dishes. I know sometimes I miss the lemon-y smell of store bought dishwasher detergent. Now, I’ve got a solution! Use this simple, 2 ingredient cleaner as the rinse aid. Perfect!
Check out my other Do It Yourself posts!